Hey Kids! Let’s Get Out And Explore Nature!
Fairfax County Libraries Now Check Out Nature Backpacks
Remember when mom told you “It’s a beautiful day, go outside and play”? Fairfax County’s public library system is doing the same, but one-upping mom by loaning free nature-themed backpacks so kids of all ages can enjoy the outdoors and learn about nature and science. It is a great outside activity for families and groups such as Scouts and other youth organizations.
The 32 backpacks were provided to Fairfax County by the Library of Virginia through a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.
Each backpack contains great resources for exploring your local parks or open spaces near your home. The contents include:
- A parking pass that allows the library customer to visit any one of 36 Virginia State Parks at no cost
- You can also use the backpacks at one of the Fairfax County parks, always free to County residents
- Pocket guides: Edible Wild Plants, Medicinal Plants and Weather
- Tarp and paracord
- Big Foot Leave No Trace Ethics Card
- Port-a-bug field observation container
- Dip net and magnifying lens
- Learn & Live outdoor skills card
- Other nifty things like star charts and activity guides
- So grab your sense of adventure…and “check it out!”